Thursday, March 3, 2011

Encouragement and Fear

Feeling afraid can be debilitating.  Fear will freeze progress if you allow it to.  I have been afraid.  It is not a nice feeling.  Other words associated with fear are: anxiety, worry, concern...the list could go on.  Whats happens when fear enters our world?  Many things can happen but I want to focus on one thing and that is what I call the BIG FREEZE.  It's when you are so paralyzed with fear that you are stuck.  It is when fear so grips you that you stop living for a while.  You focus more on fear than you do on living and working out solutions.

I am a diabetic and I have to watch my feet constantly because I have neuropathy.  I feel pain but not like the average person.  While I was on vacation at Walt Disney World, I began to feel a lot of pain on the bottom of my right foot.  I went back to my hotel room and found a huge blood blister on the bottom of my foot.  If you know anything about diabetes, you know that a blister can turn into a complete disaster.  I was shocked and began to feel really afraid.  I calmed down and decided to call my foot doctor. He phoned me back,  told me what to do,  and called me in an antibiotic. 

The point is, if I had allowed fear to control me, I would not have acted quickly and possibly could have done something to cause infection and have really been in trouble.  My wife encouraged me to do the right thing and I was able to focus.

When you are in the grip of fear, let me encourage you to do the following:
1. Calm down
2. Pray - prayer brings clarity
3. Think
4. Allow people to bring proper perspective
5. Plan
6. Act on your plan

These things will help you in the midst of fear.  When you are working with people struggling with fear don't preach or be negative.  Be there and be a friend.  Listen and ask what you can do to help.

Be Encouraged,
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment