Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Encouragement When Feeling Unworthy

A definition of grace is "an unmerited favor given to one that is undeserving".  The mere mention of the word human suggests imperfection.  Imperfection pretty much describes my life.  I have hurt people, let people down, said things...done things.  There are days that I wish I could turn back the clock and start over.  The reality is you can't turn back the clock.  Do I ever feel unworthy?  You bet I do.

So how do you encourage someone who feels like a failure or feels like they are so unworthy?  You walk with them and listen.  There are people who ride the self-exalted horse of perfection.  They never have made a mistake and they know how to judge, criticize, and condemn.  They can't see that the words of condemnation they speak amplifies imperfection.  I have been in preaching services filled with condemnation and have asked myself, "I wonder...will I make it to heaven?"

Let's get something straight, everyone needs grace.  Some, more than others, will feel unworthy of a second chance or unworthy of love because of negative words spoken to them in life.  Encouraging the heart means you stop, look, and listen.  Stop what you are doing and hear the one who feels unworthy.  Look at the person who feels unworthy and let them know that they are a human being who deserves to be looked at.  Listen to that someone who feels unworthy.  Listen to their heart.  Don't preach, condemn, or judge.  Just listen.  Remember, everyone is in need of grace.  Even the self-righteous are in need of grace.  Why? Because they can't see themselves.

So if you encounter someone who feels unworthy, encourage them!  When you do, you will change your world one person at a time.

Be Encouraged,
Rick

1 comment:

  1. I love that you've created this blog. My sister and I are on a similar path to encourage others as well. I feel blessed that our paths have crossed. ^_^ Do keep going Rick!

    ReplyDelete